Just trying to save the world, one science lesson at a time.

- Noelle King

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Emerging Techology - Go! Animate

How about a little chemistry humor? Just hit play. (make sure your sound is on for full effect)



I really crack myself up. How about another one?


I know, I know...I'll stop now and get on with the discussion.

The research for this particular post has been way too much fun. In fact, don't all teachers need a little more fun? Well if you are looking to insert some fun into your classroom , this technology has it built in! And who couldn't use a little humor or visual boost at a staff or professional development meeting.

Go! Animate.com is very easy to use but a little limited in choices. For each scene of your animation, you choose a background and just insert characters. The manipulation of the characters is easy once you know what you want. There is also the option of using your own face (by photo). For teachers, this could go in several directions (most of them hilarious). In fact I think planning your story and dialogue is the hardest part.


For a middle or high school level science class, I think its educational applications are limited to providing some instructional variety in short spurts (like the jokes I attempted to animate above.) I also began work on a lab safety animation and if I can get it to work I will post it here as well. I should also come up with an ELECTRON joke to complete all the subatomic particles! Most of the time math and science classes take themselves way too seriously (not to mention how seriously mathematicians and scientists take themselves).

Sequencing becomes the key skill that the user needs for putting together these animations. So it is possible that students could use this application to provide visual imagery for a sequence. It could also be used as an option for a project that requires a presentation other than powerpoint slides. Especially for younger students, this could have wonderful applications as a story sequencing tool.

The visual appeal to the students is a no-brainer. The animation could also be used to address issues of behavior (acting out, cheating, bullying, etc.) by bringing them to light and providing alternative solutions.


So I recommend you try it out - it's free and did I mention that it is fun?

1 comment:

Paula M. said...

You are so right - for kids that like to make creative visual products (and not all do!) this is an awesome application. I am going to show it to my oldest who loves doing things like this.